International managers, executives, and specialized employees may be able to live and work in the United States under L-1A or L-1B visas. If you are an employer or employee looking for guidance related to the L-1 visa application and approval process, you can find experienced counsel at Gorton Law LLC. We are results-focused and understand the intricacies of ever-changing immigration laws and procedures in the U.S. Our business immigration lawyers apply our knowledge and skill to help our clients achieve their immigration goals.

L-1A & L-1B Visa Eligibility for Employees

The L-1 visa is broken into two sub-categories. The first is the L-1A Intracompany Transferee Executive or Manager visa, and the second is the L-1B Intracompany Transferee Specialized Knowledge visa.

To be eligible for an L-1A visa as an employee:

  • You must have been working for a qualifying organization outside of the U.S. for at least one year within the past three years; and
  • You must be seeking admission to serve in an executive or managerial capacity, or utilizing specialized knowledge, for that employer or one of its qualifying organizations.

Employer Requirements for L-1 Visas

Employers must petition on behalf of employees for L-1 visas, and this is done by filing Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, along with the applicable fee. Employers must also meet specific qualifications to petition on behalf of employees under the L-1 visa category.

To meet L-1 visa eligibility requirements, an employer must:

  • Have a qualifying relationship with a foreign company (qualifying organization); and
  • Be doing business as an employer in the U.S. and at least one other country, directly or through a qualifying organization. This must last as long as the employee is staying in the U.S. with an L-1 visa.

How Long Does an L-1 Visa Last?

L-1 visa holders may stay in the United States for 3 years, or 1 year if establishing a new office. Requests for extensions may be granted in increments of up to an additional 2 years, to a maximum of 7 years.

Can My Family Come to the U.S.?

Your spouse and any unmarried children under the age of 21 may apply for admission to the U.S. under the L-2 nonimmigrant classification. Your spouse may also apply for work authorization, and if approved, there is no restriction as to where he or she may work.

Contact Our Walden Immigration Firm Today

The L-1 visa process can be complex, and a single misstep could delay approval and negatively impact you, your family, and your business. Our attorneys know how to protect your rights and interests through the application process and can quickly and confidently address any issues that may arise, to pursue a swift and favorable outcome on your behalf.